What is Organic Food, and is it Better Than Non-Organic?

2

What is Organic Food, and is it Better Than Non-Organic?



Organic foods have exploded in popularity over the last two decades.

In fact, US consumers spent $39.1 billion on organic produce in 2014.

The popularity does not seem to be slowing down, as sales increased by more than 11% from 2014 to 2015.

Many people think organic food is safer, healthier and tastier than regular food.

Others say it's better for the environment and the well-being of animals.

This article objectively compares organic and non-organic foods, including their nutrient content and effects on human health.

What is Organic Food?


The term "organic" refers to the process of how certain foods are produced.

Organic foods have been grown or farmed without the use of artificial chemicals, hormones, antibiotics or genetically modified organisms.

In order to be labelled organic, a food product must be free of artificial food additives.

This includes artificial sweeteners, preservatives, coloring, flavoring and monosodium glutamate (MSG).

Organically grown crops tend to use natural fertilizers like manure to improve plant growth. Animals raised organically are also not given antibiotics or hormones.

Organic farming tends to improve soil quality and the conservation of groundwater. It also reduces pollution and may be better for the environment.

The most commonly purchased organic foods are fruits, vegetables, grains, dairy products and meat. Nowadays there are also many processed organic products available, such as sodas, cookies and breakfast cereals.
Organic Foods May Contain More Nutrients



Studies comparing the nutrient content of organic and non-organic foods have provided mixed results.

This is most likely due to natural variation in food handling and production.

However, evidence does suggest that foods grown organically may be more nutritious.

Organically Grown Crops Have More Antioxidants and Vitamins

Several studies have found that organic foods generally contain higher levels of antioxidants and certain micro nutrients, such as vitamin C, zinc and iron.

In fact, antioxidant levels can be up to 69% higher in these foods.

One study also found that organically grown berries and corn contained 58% more antioxidants and up to 52% higher amounts of vitamin C.

What's more, one study reported that replacing regular fruit, vegetables and cereals with organic versions could provide extra antioxidants in the diet. This was comparable to eating 1-2 extra portions of fruit and vegetables daily.

Organic plants do not rely on chemical pesticide sprays to protect themselves. Instead, they produce more of their own protective compounds, namely antioxidants.

This may partly explain the higher levels of antioxidants in these plants.

Nitrate Levels are Generally Lower




Organically grown crops have also been shown to have lower levels of nitrate. In fact, studies have shown that nitrate levels are 30% lower in these crops.

High nitrate levels are linked to an increased risk of certain types of cancer.

They're also linked to a condition called Methemoglobinemia, a disease in infants that affects the body's ability to carry oxygen .

That being said, many people believe that the harmful effects of nitrates have been overstated. The benefits of eating vegetables far outweigh any negative effects.

Organic Dairy and Meat May Have A More Favorable Fatty Acid Profile



Organic milk and dairy products may contain higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids and slightly higher amounts of iron, vitamin E and some carotenoids.

However, organic milk may contain less selenium and iodine than non-organic milk, two minerals that are essential for health.

A review of 67 studies found that organic meat contained higher levels of omega-3 fatty acids and slightly lower levels of saturated fats than conventional meat .

A higher intake of omega-3 fatty acids has been associated with many health benefits, including a reduced risk of heart disease.

How to Know if You're Buying Organic


he United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has set up an organic certification program.

This means any farmer or food producer selling organic food must meet strict government standards.

If you decide to choose organic, it's important to look for the USDA organic seal.

Also, watch for these statements on food labels, so you can identify food that is truly organically grown:

  • 100% Organic: This product is made entirely from organic ingredients.
  • Organic: At least 95% of the ingredients in this product are organic.
  • Made with Organic: At least 70% of the ingredients are organic.

If a product contains less than 70% organic ingredients, it cannot be labeled organic or use the USDA seal. Similar standards are enforced in Europe, Canada and Australia. Each country or continent has its own seal to help consumers identify organic food.

Post a Comment

2Comments
  1. It was a wonderful experience knowing Dr Utu.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I'm on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. I knew I was in trouble as I've already lost appetite for everything about life I've heard of people who suffered this disease for years with no hope of solution. Imagine the pain and trauma keeping it a secret. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment who after telling him of my ailment he advised me to start with herbal medicines if I wish to live longer than doctors estimate He taught me the strong effects of plants on animals and how possible nature have perfected itself. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, I told him the whole history which he gave me satisfactory answer. I purchased and started using his herbs as he had directed. This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I continued on dosage as prescribed one week later I noticed total comfort in my body system, I informed the doctor who advised me to continue medication till later end I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! I thank you greatly Dr Utu for giving me back my life I'm the happiest man on earth. Reach Dr Utu directly via email: drutuherbalcure@gmail.com. TO CURE YOUR DISEASES WITH HERBAL MEDICINES

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment
To Top