BCG vaccine

3


BCG Vaccine – Current use, safety & skin test


The BCG vaccine is the only TB vaccine currently available, although there are other TB vaccines under development. Although far from perfect, the BCG vaccine is a relatively inexpensive, safe, and readily available vaccine that is still the only vaccine available for the prevention of human forms of TB.




Who is given the BCG vaccine?..
The BCG vaccine is normally given to children as it has been shown to provide very good protection against the disseminated forms of TB in children, including TB meningitis. However the protection provided against pulmonary TB in adults is very variable. So the BCG vaccine is not generally given to adults.

The BCG vaccine is one of the most widely used of all current vaccines, and overall it reaches more than 80% of all new born children and infants in countries where it is part of the national childhood immunization programme.2 The World Health Organisation (WHO) monitors the estimated coverage of the BCG vaccine in every country.

Not every country that could do so gives the vaccine to all children. Generally countries where there is a high level of TB use the BCG vaccine to vaccinate all children. Some countries with a low level of TB, such as the United States and England do not give all children the vaccine, but only those considered at particular risk. The United States has never vaccinated all children, but in the United Kingdom all children were given the vaccine until 2005.

BCG vaccine is recommended for all babies up to one year old who.

  • Are born in areas where the rates of TB are high
  • have one or more parents or grandparents who were born in countries with a high incidence of TB.
Newborn babies can be given the vaccine soon after birth. Infants less than 6 months of age do not need to be tested with a tuberculin skin test (the Mantoux test) before the administration of BCG, but those over six months of age do.

The BCG vaccination is recommended for all older children and adults at risk of TB including:.

  •  Older children with an increased risk of TB who were not vaccinated against TB when they were babies 
  • Anyone under 16 who has come from an area where TB is widespread
  •  Anyone under 16 who has been in close contact with someone who has pulmonary TB (TB infection of the lung).
The BCG vaccine and the TB skin test

People who have had the BCG vaccine will often then have a positive result to a TB skin test. This makes it more difficult to establish whether someone has latent TB. This is one of the reasons that the vaccine is not used in some countries.7

The skin test will often be given before BCG vaccination. If there is a positive result to the skin test indicating that the person already has some immunity to TB, then the BCG vaccination will not be given. Giving the BCG vaccine to someone who already has some immunity, provides no benefit and could cause unpleasant side effects.

Shortage of BCG vaccineT

here has been a shortage of the BCG vaccine in the European Union since April of 2015. It is now not expected that supplies will return to normal until April 2017.9 In England it is said that supplies of BCG ran out in the summer of 2016.

Post a Comment

3Comments
  1. It was a wonderful experience knowing Dr Utu.
    I had a sudden onset of cold sores and a new one was appearing each day. I'm on primary immunosuppressant I noticed my body just can't fight this virus on its own. After five days of treatment and no success I suspected herpes I went for test and it was confirmed. I knew I was in trouble as I've already lost appetite for everything about life I've heard of people who suffered this disease for years with no hope of solution. Imagine the pain and trauma keeping it a secret. God was my strength I met a doctor for treatment who after telling him of my ailment he advised me to start with herbal medicines if I wish to live longer than doctors estimate He taught me the strong effects of plants on animals and how possible nature have perfected itself. He gave me Dr Utu's contact. I contacted him immediately, I told him the whole history which he gave me satisfactory answer. I purchased and started using his herbs as he had directed. This medication was far amazing that within 24-48 hrs the blisters were crusting over. The swelling and redness was decreasing as well. I continued on dosage as prescribed one week later I noticed total comfort in my body system, I informed the doctor who advised me to continue medication till later end I was on four weeks herpes medication which I completed before going for test. I went for herpes test and then again back to my doctor who confirmed me herpes negative it was really like a dream. What a relief! I thank you greatly Dr Utu for giving me back my life I'm the happiest man on earth. Reach Dr Utu directly via email: drutuherbalcure@gmail.com. TO CURE YOUR DISEASES WITH HERBAL MEDICINES

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Never believed i was ever going to be HSV FREE again, DR.Ehiaguna has given me reasons to be happy, i was HSV positive for 2 years and all the means and medicine i tried for treatment was not helpful to me, but when i came on the Internet i saw great testimony about DR.Ehiaguna on how he was able to cure someone from HSV 2, this person said great things about this man, and advice we contact him for any Disease problem that DR.Ehiaguna can be of help, well i decided to give him a try, he requested for my information which i sent to him, and he told me he was going to prepare for me a healing portion, which he wanted me to take for days, and after which i should go back to the hospital for check up, well after taking all the treatment sent to me by DR.Ehiahuna , i went back to the Hospital for check up, and now i have been confirmed HSV NEGATIVE, friends you can reach DR.Ehiaguna on any treatment of any Disease cos i saw many testimony of different disease like, HEPATITIS,HIV AIDS,EPILEPSY, CANCER,CFS he is the one only one i can show you all up to, reach him on drehiaguna@gmail.com or whatsApp him now +2348073908953. quick contact him for help and you can just quickly drop your number on your first mail as i did for easily conversation

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
Post a Comment
To Top